Sunday, January 23, 2011

Green, Money Saving Gift Giving Ideas - Part #5

This post is the last part in the series. Each post contains 2 green gifting ideas. Click here for part 1, here for part 2, here for part 3, and here for part 4.

I hope you've enjoyed this series of ideas on how to be a little more green and save some money along the way. I have a lot more ideas rumbling around in my brain, and I hope to post more of these kind of articles soon. Let me know if this has been useful to you or if you enjoyed reading it. Thanks!

Green, Money Saving Gift Giving Ideas
10 Gift giving ideas that will save you money, reduce waste and save resources.

9. Re-gift
One of the best ways to save money, reduce waste and de-clutter your house at the same time is to re-gift items you’ve received that don’t fit your personality or that you don’t need. When I receive a nice gift that isn’t right for me but I know someone else will love, I put it away in my gift closet for later re-gifting. By doing this, the nice item will get used rather than going to waste or going into a landfill. And by using something that’s already been produced and purchased I’m not further contributing to the use of more resources to make another item. I know this gift giving method is somewhat controversial, but honestly, if someone re-gifts something I've given them it doesn't make me feel bad at all. My goal in gift giving was to give the person something they could use...and if they use it to not have to buy a gift for someone else, then it got used as that person saw fit. And hopefully somewhere down the line the gift will be treasured by its recipient.

10. Make your own gift bag or wrap from a pillowcase or fabric remnant
My kids are constantly being invited to birthday parties. For the most part, I’ve been able to reuse gift bags we already have to wrap the gift for the party child, but in some cases, the toy or book is too large to fit into the bags we have. In those instances I pull out a plain white pillowcase I’ve purchased on sale for this very purpose, decorate it with the child’s name, let my child further decorate the bag to personalize it, then tie up the top with ribbon or a pair of sparkly shoe laces furthering the re-usability of the packaging. I’ve gotten a lot of complements about this wrapping method, and I feel good that the wrapping is really a second gift and will be used again as well.

Another gift wrap idea is even simpler. Take a fabric remnant large enough to wrap around the gift. Then tie it up with ribbon. There’s no tape or paper needed for this one at all. Then the fabric remnant can either be used by the recipient to wrap another package or they can sew it into something new like a quilt or use it to recover a pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...