Monday, February 7, 2011

Using leftovers: Butternut Squash muffins

I hate wasting food! Let me repeat that. I hate wasting food! I go to great lengths to not have to waste food. I have decent sized bags of brown bananas, almost wilted spinach and chicken carcasses in my freezer just waiting on me to use them. And I do eventually use everything in one way or another. The brown bananas get used in smoothies or banana bread, the wilted spinach gets thrown into soup and the chicken carcasses get boiled down into stock.

My hatred of wasting food leads me to make interesting things from leftovers. Yesterday I looked into the fridge and saw too many leftovers. I knew what I was planning to serve for dinner and some of the leftovers just didn't fit into that plan. So I improvised. I took some mashed butternut squash I'd made earlier in the week (roasted whole butternut squash in the oven at 400 degrees for about an hour. scooped out squash, mixed in about a Tbs of butter and a Tbs of sugar.)  threw in a few other ingredients and made some muffins. They actually tasted a lot like pumpkin pie to me. So I think it was a win. I think you could make the same thing with sweet potatoes, pumpkin or any other winter squash. Enjoy!

Butternut Squash Muffins
Ingredients:
1 C butternut squash roasted and mashed
1/2 C sugar
2/3 C whole grain flour (I used spelt flour)
1/3 C oat bran or rolled oats
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 Eggs, lightly beaten

Directions:
Mix all cooled ingredients then spoon into mini muffin tins. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes until tops are firm.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angie! Thanks for linking up last week to What's for Dinner? I'm hosting again tomorrow and would love for you to link up a healthy recipe on my blog: http://www.homegrownlearners.com You can grab the What's for Dinner button to use in your post if you want.

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...