Friday, May 27, 2011

Beef and veggie Bolognese

Last week I ordered a 1/4 of a grass-fed cow from my rancher friend in Oregon. A couple of my other friends decided to join me on my order to reduce the price per pound and share a 1/2 of a cow. One of my friends doesn't generally cook with a lot of ground meat, but a 1/2 of a cow comes with a significant portion of ground beef that's made from the bits cut off of the steaks and roasts. So I've been on a mission to come up with more recipes that contain ground beef.

I already had a few in past posts like my Meatloaf recipe and Beef Soup with Tarragon, but I have several more that I make but haven't posted here. One way I cook ground beef is simply browning it in a pan with onions and other various veggies and serving it with some veggie side dishes or over pasta if the rest of the family is so inclined. I looked it up and apparently meat sauce served over pasta is a Bolognese. So here ya go! Here is my verson of Beef and Veggie Bolognese.




Beef and Veggie Bolognese
1 T butter or bacon grease
1 C diced celery
1 large onion
1 lb grass fed beef
1 C pasta sauce of your choice (I use Trader Joes or Classico because of their low-to-no sugar added.)
1 C Pico de Gallo or other salsa
salt and pepper to taste

Brown celery and onions in butter or bacon grease. Remove onion mixture then brown meat in the pan. Return Onion mixture to meat then add all other ingredients. Simmer over medium heat until everything is bubbly. Serve alone or over pasta (if you eat pasta).

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! We didn't go in on a cow this year and part of me is disappointed. I'll just have to get by through reading your blog! I'm about to get a new gadget that spiral cuts veggies that you can use as "pasta". We also like to use spaghetti squash as a substitute. Nora isn't quite convinced, but we'll turn her around :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. spaghetti squash just doesn't cut it around here, but sprial cut veggies might be interesting. You'll have to let me know how that works out with the younger family member.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...