Sunday, July 24, 2011

Lego Cake

My son is totally crazy about Lego right now and wanted to have a Lego themed cake for his birthday. I looked around at some of the grocery stores but didn't find one he liked. So I thought I'd make one myself. There's  no way I could draw a Lego picture on a cake, but I was pretty sure I could make a cake that looked like a Lego brick. Here's the process.

1. Make your favorite cake batter then split it between a 11x7 cake pan and 6 standard cupcakes (not the mini size).

2. Let cake cool then remove cupcakes from wrappers if you used them and turn 11x7 cake onto a cutting board or other serving tray.

3. Tint your icing to be the color of a Lego Brick while whipping it in a mixer. We used Yellow because it required the least amount of food coloring to get a reasonable color.  (I also added a 1/2 tub of Cool Whip to the container of icing to make it a little more pour-able.)

4. Cut the tops off of the cupcakes so that you have a flat surface. Then place them on the 11x7 cake so they look like the bumps on a Lego Brick. push a toothpick or skewer through each bump to secure it to the sheet cake.

5. Ice the the constructed Lego brick.

6. With an icing or gel writer write the word LEGO on each bump.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...