Friday, September 23, 2011

Strawberry Banana smoothie...with a surprise

Yesterday The Boy asked me to go to Starbucks for one of their strawberry banana smoothies. But I really didn't want to drive to Starbucks and pay money for a smoothie that may or may not really be very healthy for you. So I convinced him to let me make one here at home. Now, The Boy is one of my worst critics when it comes to homemade food. He is dubious of everything, which I suppose is deserved since I do try to sneak healthy bits into almost everything. But I got lucky this time and he stayed out of the kitchen while I made this one. I gave him a tester sip to make sure it fit his criteria of a Starbucks smoothie, and he gave me the thumbs up! Hopefully your personal food critic will like this one, too.

Strawberry Banana smoothie with a surprise
(Paleo, Primal, gluten Free, Dairy Free)
1 ripe banana
1 C frozen strawberries
1 ripe nectarine or peach
1+ C milk (can be almond, coconut or cow's) Add more as needed to blend well
1/2 C sunflower seeds
3/4 C torn kale

Blend all ingredients in a blender until well incorporated. Makes about 3 good size smoothies. Top each cup with whipped cream if dairy is ok and serve! I serve mine in a cup with a lid and a straw so the kids can't inspect the contents as they drink it. If they can't see the tiny green bits of kale they won't have a problem with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...