Monday, April 9, 2012

Eat Like a Dinosaur - Chicken Nugget Review

I've been spending a lot of time with Eat Like a Dinosaur: Recipe and Guidebook for Gluten-free Kids (ELaD) by the Paleo Parents lately. It's filled with kid-friendly paleo/primal recipes that are easy to make. The Boy is notoriously picky and sometimes won't eat any of the food he helps me to make. I think seeing the ingredients sometimes specifically makes him not want to try the food...but we give it a try anyway. He and The Girl have both been very interested in ELaD and have spent some time themselves thumbing through the book dog-earing the pages that have food they'd like to try. That in and of itself has made this one of my favorite cookbooks right off the bat.

ELaD is a treasure trove of meat dishes, side dishes, dips, snacks and treats that are filled with healthy ingredients. Yesterday The Boy and I decided to make their chicken nugget recipe. I thawed and cut up the chicken while he mixed up the "breading". He then coated the chicken and I put it on the cookie sheet. He had a great time getting messy!

The chicken turned out crunchy on the outside and moist on the inside, just as a chicken nugget should be. But unlike the store-bought chicken nuggets, these contained ingredients that we could actually pronounce! And when you bit into a nugget it was really chicken rather than some strangly textured homogenious chicken-like substance. These are chicken nuggest that I'd be happy for my kids to eat every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...