Sunday, September 12, 2010

Steamed Red Bean Buns


When we were eating at the revolving sushi restaurant the other day my daughter realized that she really liked the red bean paste inside of the sesame balls. She didn't really like the sesame seed and rice flour coating, but the bean paste was a hit. So I got to thinking that maybe I could make red bean paste. I'm always looking for ways to get more protein into my kids' diets, and this seemed like it might be an acceptable way to add a bit. I looked around online and found a few recipes that had basically the same directions. So I gave it a try.


Red Bean Paste
Ingredients:
2/3 C Small red Adzuki beans (although I'm not sure why you couldn't use any type of beans)
Water
1/2 C sugar

Directions:
1. Soak dried beans in several cups of water overnight.
2. After soaking, put soaked beans and soaking water in a saucepan, bring to a boil and then simmer for about 1.5 hours stiring occasionally and adding more water when needed.
3. After beans have cooked until they are very tender transfer beans and a small amount of water to the blender, add sugar and blend until smooth.
4. If mixture is still very liquid, transfer to a microwave safe bowl and microwave for a few minuted until water has reduced and you are left with a paste.

Once I had the paste I got inspired to make the buns that go with the red bean paste. So once again I turned to my trusty friend the internet and found a few different steamed bun recipes. Here is what I made.


Red Bean Buns
Ingredients:
Red Bean Paste
3 C flour (recipe called for AP but I used WW)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 C sugar
1.5 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 C warm water
1/2 C milk
1 T butter

Directions:
1. Add yeast to warm water and let sit for about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile combine flour, sugar, baking powder in a bowl.
3. Cut in the butter then add the milk and yeast mixture to the dry ingredients.
4. Mix dough and knead for a few minutes adding extra water or extra flour as needed.
5. Form into a ball in your bowl, cover with a damp towel then let rise for about an hour.
6. After dough has risen, separate into about 12 equal sized balls.
7. Fill a large stock pot with a steamer basket, add water until it is just under the steamer basket then with the lid on bring to a boil.
8. Line the steamer basket with parchment paper and keep this basket out of the pot for now.
9. Take your dough balls and flatten each into a disk, then put a Tbs of bean paste into the center of the disk and seal the dough around it forming a bun shape.
10. Put a few of these formed buns into the steamer basket seam side down, put the basket into the pot of boiling water and cover with the lid. Steam the buns for 12 minutes then remove to a plate to cool.

My Red Bean Buns don't look like the ones you get at Dim Sum most likely because I used whole wheat flour and butter rather than AP flour and shortening. But the result turned out very yummy. We ate our treats by dipping the bun into the left over bean paste to get even more yummy goodness into each bite. :) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...