Wednesday, June 6, 2012

First Notable Harvest of the Season

Although we've had a few days of unseasonably warm weather here in the PNW, we've also had our usual share of 50 degree rainy days. Today couldn't make up its mind. It was cloudy, sunny, and windy off an on all day. But I did manage to sneak into the garden for a few minutes after finishing up work for the day. While there I transplanted a few mystery squash starts (I saved seeds from last year but didn't label them. :) ) and picked some spinach and strawberries. The chickens huddled outside the fence waiting on me to throw out any rotten strawberries I found. And lucky for them, there were a few. But for the most part the strawberries looked lovely. We had them with dinner and could really taste the difference between homegrown and store-bought berries!

I can't wait until my garden produces enough veggies to feed us! So far my turnips are growing like crazy, spinach and lettuce are doing well, rhubarb has been harvested once, beets and beans are still small but established and my squash is growing slowly. I've got a lot of other things in the greenhouse, but I'm afraid to put them in the garden until they're a little bigger. Some critter keeps eating all of my brassicas when they're young, so I'm trying to let them get a bit bigger before transplanting outside. Hopefully that will keep the varmints away.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...