Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Apple, Celery Root and Bacon Salad

I had no real idea what celery root was until it came in my veggie delivery box last week. I wasn't even sure which item in the box was celery root until I'd eliminated everything else and was left with something that looked a little strange. This is celery root also known as celeriac:

Celery Root
I'm not a fan of the flavor of raw celery, so I wasn't sure if I'd like celery root as it does have a mild celery flavor. But in this dish, the celery flavor isn't overpowering and it didn't detract from the other flavors at all. Once you add in the apple, bacon and dressing you have a very flavorful, tangy, sweet and sour salad that can be a side dish or a meal. Give this strange looking vegetable a try!




Apple, Celery Root and Bacon Salad
1 celery root, scrubbed, peeled and chopped
2 medium apples cored and chopped
1/3 C white or apple cider vinegar
1 t honey
2 t Dijon mustard
1 T chopped fresh parsley
4 strips of bacon cooked and crumbled

Mix all ingredients and let stand for at least 30 minutes before serving to let the flavors mingle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...