Thursday, September 22, 2016

Butter Chicken - Chicken Makhani and Homemade Garam Masala

Bringing over Northwest Cavegirl Recipes.  

Oh my, do I love my crockpot! After THIS recipe that I tried from A Year of Slow Cooking, I'm even more in love with that device. We've had this one several times now.
So, the first time I made it, I started out with the recipe that she has and only changed using chicken breasts tenders instead of thighs. I put the chicken in while it was still frozen. Here's what the whole lot looked like before starting the cooking cycle:
I put it on a 6 hour high cooking cycle. At about 3.5 hours, I did open the crockpot to stir the sauce. I also tore the chicken into more bitesized pieces.
Add some cauliflower rice and you've got a meal that is cooking FOR you! That was so yummy. I've make it again and again. Use whatever chicken you'd like. Last night, I used thighs and breasts from Costco's organic chicken packages. Yummy!
IF you do dairy, serve this with a side of raita or just plain yogurt.
If you do not have any garam masala, make your own.
Garam Masala:
Place all in a spice grinder/coffee mill and pulverize to a fine powder.
1/3 cinnamon stick
1 1/2 t. black peppercorns
1 t. black cardamom seeds
1/2 t. green cardamom pods
1 t. cloves
1 pinch of nutmeg
You can dry roast the mixture in a skillet before grinding if you have the time. IF not, just put it in the grinder and zip it! Strain out the cardamom pod fibers and you're good to go with a supply of garam masala that should last you a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...