Saturday, June 11, 2011

Seafood Skillet

I'm a sucker for seafood! I love shrimp, scallops, squid (calamari), fish of all types, even octopus (although I'm the only one in the house that likes that one). When I was a kid I loved going to the catfish houses where they had every type of seafood...battered and fried, but I'm from the south where everything is battered and fried.  So, when I saw the frozen Seafood Blend at Trader Joe's the other day I had to get a couple of bags for my freezer. This evening I decided to  make a sort of seafood and veggie one-dish meal with lots of garlic. I wanted to call it a scampi, but apparently what I made is not a scampi, so I'll  just call it a "skillet" and be done with it. The resulting dish was very tasty and would be good over pasta, if you eat pasta, or good with some cauliflower rice, but I just ate it with a spinach salad and a Mango Milkshake for dessert. Yum!

Seafood Skillet
1 lb mixed seafood thawed (could use any favorite type of seafood)
1/2 C diced or thinly sliced carrots
2 C button mushrooms sliced
2 t chopped garlic
2 T olive oil or other oil of choice (I had some white truffle oil and used that.)
1 T butter
2 large hand fulls (about 2 C) fresh spinach
salt and pepper to taste

Saute carrots and mushrooms in butter for several minutes stirring often until mushrooms start to release their water and mixture gets a little browned (this took about 5-10 minutes for me). Add oil and toss to coat in the pan. Then add garlic and seafood mixture along with any water that's in the bag (if you're using fresh rather than frozen seafood, you may need to add a little water at this point), cover and cook until seafood is no longer translucent. Add spinach to pan, stir then cover and cook just until spinach is wilted. Serve immediately and Enjoy!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...