Thursday, June 16, 2011

Seasoned Sirloin Tip Steak

I love steak! Fortunately we have a lot of it in the freezer thanks to the 1/4 cow we bought. I had a Sirloin tip steak thawing in the fridge the other day and went looking for a steak rub to put on it before cooking. I remember finding one a while back but couldn't find it again this time so I decided to make one up myself for the fun of it. The results were very good and it's a lot easier to make than the missing one I used last time.

To to along with the steak, I made some mushrooms and onions for a topping and some steamed broccoli. It was a hit with 3 of the 4 family members and the 4th did eat some but was negotiating the amount he'd have to eat right down to the very last bite. :)

Seasoned Sirloin Tip Steak with Mushrooms and Onions
1 lb Sirloin tip steak
1-2 C sliced mushrooms
1/2 onion sliced

Rub (put into an old spice bottle and shake)
1 t salt
1 1/2 t chili powder
1 1/2 t garlic powder
1 1/2 t Italian Seasoning (can make this from oregano, parsley, and basil)

Pat dry then rub about 2 tsp of seasoning mix into each side of meat. Coat a cast iron skillet with butter or bacon grease then place meat in pan. Cook on medium heat for 6 minutes on each side, turning only once. This gets you medium rare meat. Cook longer to your desired doneness.

Remove meat from pan to a cutting board to rest while you put more butter or bacon grease in the pan then add onions and mushrooms. I also added all of the blood that was in my steak package to this mixture. Add about 1 tsp of seasoning rub to mushroom mixture and stir occasionally until everything is tender. Serve on top of meat.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this recipe, my family asked to have it again the same week so I'd say it's a winner. And no complaints of "too many spices" although I did significantly reduce the chili powder.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...