Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A Paleo Thanksgiving

For the last several years my family has hosted a pot luck Thanksgiving. We provide the turkey, dressing, cranberries and pies and everyone else brings an appetizer, side or dessert to share. This has to be one of my favorite days of the year. I love getting together with all of my friends and their families, hanging out all evening and eating great food. My hope is that this year will be no different, except for the food. Most of the friends who are planning to attend the festivities this year are now eating Paleo; so we'll be having a Paleo/Primal Feast!

So far the menu consists of Roasted Turkey, Paleo/Primal Mulled Cranberry sauce, Paleo/Primal Pumpkin Pie and Paleo/Primal Pecan Pie. I haven't yet decided whether to attempt a Paleo dressing or to just omit it in favor of other veggie side dishes that the guests will likely bring. I could make an almond bread then use the regular recipe full of celery, onions, mushrooms, eggs and chicken broth...but I'm not sure if I'll bother. And we'll probably have Roasted Pumpkin seeds to snack on while we sit around the table after dinner.

Although we are altering virtually every dish, I think we'll still feel like we've had a traditional Thanksgiving Feast. Bring on the Friends, Food and Fun!

Update: I did decide to make a Paleo/Primal Thanksgiving Dressing. It turned out amazing, and I'm anxious to see what the rest of our guests think! This one will definitely be a staple in our house going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...