Saturday, December 3, 2011

Paleo/Primal Eggnog

'Tis the season for rich warming drinks like hot apple cider, peppermint hot chocolate and Eggnog! Although I love the ones I get from Starbucks, I really have no idea what they put in them, except a boat load of sugar. So I thought I'd give this one a shot and see if I could concoct a Paleo eggnog. The kids enjoyed the froth on the top and concluded that it made great Santa mustaches!



Paleo/Primal Eggnog
6 eggs
2 Cans coconut milk
1/3 C honey
1 T vanilla
1 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground

Into a saucepan, pour the coconut milk and honey.  Heat on medium while stirring continuously, BUT DO NOT BOIL. 

In a large bowl, beat the eggs and vanilla with an electric mixer until they become very frothy. When the milk mixture is heated, pour it one ladle at a time very slowly into the beaten egg mixture while continuing to mix with electric mixer. When all milk is incorporated, Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg. (add more of these spices to your taste.) If you prefer thick as opposed to frothy, you can return this to the stove, stirring constantly until it thickens to your desired consistency.

At this point you can drink it as is with an extra sprinkle of cinnamon and/or nutmeg on top or you can add rum, whisky or the alcohol of your choice if desired.

Serves: 6.




5 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing. Did you put the whole egg or just the yolk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the whole egg. If you only use yolks I'd use 8 yolks to replace the 6 whole eggs. I think either would be yummy, just depends on what you like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a ton of eggs right now so I'm going to try it with yolks only this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made this tonight and it turned out amazing! Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this tonight!!! So so good!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...