Sunday, March 18, 2012

What's going on in the garden right now?

It snowed this morning...and now it's melted. But still! It snowed this morning! I'm so done with snow. I'm ready for it to be spring. I'm ready to plant things and have them grow. But in the mean time I'm doing the best I can.

Plants at bottom of the picture are broccoli and spinach starts from last fall and chard I rescued from the garden.


A couple of weekends ago I got some seeds started in the greenhouse. I took a look again yesterday and I have some sprouts in my cold weather veggie pots. Kale, Cabbage and Turnip are just starting to sprout and the spinach and broccoli that I started last fall is now getting a bit bigger. I also planted seeds for Zucchini, cucumber, pumpkin, cauliflower, onion, beet, and carrots. I usually try to put them in the ground sometime after Mother's Day. We usually don't have any freezing temps after that and it's safe to put plants into the ground.


I also cleaned up the garden a bit and prepared it for the chicken-dozers. I covered my strawberries, asparagus and rhubarb so the chickens couldn't dig up the plants and kill them. It won't hurt the strawberries if the chickens eat the leaves, but I don't want them digging up the whole plant. Before I let the chickens into the garden I also rescued a few chard plants that I planted last fall. They had started to come up late last fall, but weren't really big enough to harvest. I didn't know if they would survive the winter, but apparently they did. So now they are living in pots in my greenhouse waiting to go back into the garden when the chickens are finished cleaning it up.



So far, the chickens have cleaned up the weeds in a few rows and are now moving on to other places in the garden. If I'm lucky they'll eat all the weeds, cultivate the soil and still leave the mounds for therows. But most likely we'll have to go back in and redefine the rows when the chickens are done. But all in all, if that's all that I have to do to rid my garden patch of weeds, that's not bad at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...