Friday, May 10, 2013

The Garden

The sunny days this spring have been fabulous! I've gotten my garden weeded and several of my starts planted already! Usually I try to get start getting my plants in the ground by Mother's Day, but this year, I already have several things in the ground.






I start my plants from seeds in my greenhouse. This year I started lettuce, spinach, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, pumpkin, beans, spaghetti squash, butternut squash, onions, crook necked squash, zucchini, golden beets, turnips, rutabaga, radishes, peas, melons, cucumbers and....drum roll please...tomatoes. Yes, I got tomatoes to sprout this year! That's a red letter day, folks, put that on your calendars!









So far I've put the kale, spinach, radishes, peas, turnips, rutabaga, and broccoli in the garden. I've had trouble getting my cabbage to sprout this year, so it's still in the greenhouse even though the other cold loving veggies are already outside. The other heat loving veggies will probably stay in the greenhouse a little longer unless I get impatient and put them outside. :) My cukes and zukes have also had trouble sprouting this year. So I've brought the seeds in the house and am trying to sprout them in wet paper towels before I put them in the starter trays in the green house. So far that seems to be working with the cukes. Zukes still haven't sprouted. I'll give them a little while longer, then may go buy some starts from the garden store. Zucchini may be my favorite summer vegetable, so I'll have to have some in the garden one way or another!

 
I've also got several perennial veggies and fruits in my garden: rhubarb, strawberries, asparagus, chives, sage, oregano, chocolate mint, apples, pears, and cherries. I'd love to have more fruit trees, maybe a plum or an Asian pear. But we make do with what we have for now. My little 1800 sq ft garden manages to feed the family from July - October most years, which is pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...