Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Spinach and Walnut Pesto

What do you think of pesto? I've never been much of a pesto person and hadn't made pesto at all until yesterday. Boy, have I been missing out! I had some cilantro, spinach and garlic in my veggie box this week, and decided I'd give pesto a go. One recipe I found for making basil pesto used a mortar and pestle to crush everything together, but I don't have a mortar and pestle, and like to use power tools for heavy duty mixing like this. So I fired up my blender to get everything mixed together well.

I had planned to make hamburgers for dinner last night and thought a pesto topping would go well with the yummy grass-fed beef I had on my grill. I've also eaten it as a dip for steak and eggplant. Although the kids wouldn't touch the green goodness that was pesto, Hubby loved it and kept finding more things to top with it. So, this goes in the keeper file!




Spinach and Walnut Pesto
1 Bunch of spinach (about 2 C)
1/2 C fresh cilantro
1 C walnuts
1/4 C lemon juice
1 tsp. chopped garlic
1 C olive or walnut oil
extra oil as needed

Trim stems from spinach and cilantro. In a blender or food processor add all ingredients except the extra oil. Pulse and push down the spinach to get everything incorporated adding extra oil as needed to lubricate the mixture. Serve on just about everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...