Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss


I grew up reading Dr. Seuss and having it read to me. Most of my childhood memories of reading involve one Seuss book or another. And now that I have children of my own I love reading Dr. Seuss books to them more than any other.

There are so many simple truths in Seuss books that are stated in ways that children can understand, but sometimes adults pass over and don't really grasp...or maybe don't want to grasp. Either way, if we can learn these wonderful truths as children and hold fast to them, maybe we can still remember how to understand like a child when we are are no longer small.

Here are a few of my favorite quotes from the great Doctor.

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the things you can think up if only you try!” from Oh the thinks you can think

“I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights." from Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened"

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.”

"A person's a person, no matter how small" from Horton Hears a Who

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one. From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere." from One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...