Sunday, March 6, 2011

Starting seeds in the greenhouse

The weather was nice this weekend; so I decided to clean out my greenhouse and get some seeds started. In the fall we raised chicks in the greenhouse, and they left it a mess of chick dust and manure. I shoveled 2 wheelbarrow loads of chicken poop out of there over to the compost pile before I could even start to really clean up the shelves and level the dirt on the floor so I won't break my ankle walking around in there. That took me most of yesterday. But today, I got to do the fun part of planting: I got to start my seeds.



I sorted out my planting trays and filled them with compost from our matured compost piles. I guess something must be working in those piles because they were filled with worms! Then I chose which veggies I wanted to start first. It's still fairly cold here getting into the high 40's during the day, which means that some seeds won't germinate until it gets warmer. But I tried to pick seeds that can germinate a little earlier in cooler weather, and the greenhouse will elevate the temperature a teeny bit when it's closed up.

I decided to plant Peas, Spinach, Romaine Lettuce, Swiss Chard, Onions and Radishes in this first go-round. As the weather gets warmer I'll plant more of my staples like Pole beans, beets, broccoli, soy beans, zucchini, yellow squash, kale, pumpkins, butternut squash...and probably more that I've forgotten.

But the process has been started and it feels more like spring already just for that reason!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...