Monday, March 14, 2011

Primal/Paleo Pancakes - Gluten & Dairy Free

Every Sunday morning my family and I have pancakes for breakfast while reading the Sunday Paper. It's a tradition that we all look forward to each week. Since starting to eat foods that follow the Primal/Paleo lifestyle I've had to make a separate meal for myself which usually consists of eggs, bacon, sausage or similar. Now don't get me wrong, I love eggs, bacon, and sausage, but I wanted to share the traditional pancake breakfast with my family. So, I set off on a quest to find a pancake recipe that would fit my grain and dairy free eating plan but would also satisfy my family's taste buds. I started at Elana's Pantry and found this pancake recipe. It looked good, but I had to make some changes, because that's just the way I am. The following recipe is the one I made this morning for my family. My daughter had thirds so I think it was a hit!

Primal/Paleo Gluten and Dairy Free Pancakes
Ingredients:
4 eggs
2 Tbs maple syrup
2 Tbs vanilla extract
1 banana
1/2 C Coconut or Almond milk
3 cups blanched almond flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
(I added chopped walnuts to my pancakes and the kids added chocolate chips to theirs.)

Directions:
1. In a blender, mix Eggs, Syrup, Vanilla, Banana and Milk until smooth.
2. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the blender a bit at a time. Add more milk if the batter becomes too thick to blend. Batter should pour easily but not be runny.
3. Preheat griddle or skillet on Medium heat (300 degrees for griddles).
4. Pour pancake batter onto griddle or skillet making about 3 inch pancakes. Add any nuts or chocolate chips to the uncooked tops of the pancakes.
5. Pancakes will form little bubbles, when bubbles open, flip pancakes over and cook other side.
6. Cool on a wire rack or plate and eat immediately.
7. Makes about 15 pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...