Monday, January 16, 2012

It's My Birthday!

Yesterday was my birthday! For the last few years my husband and kids have made and decorated a birthday cake for me on my special day. This year I requested a Paleo birthday cake. I was considering a carrot cake, as I LOVE carrot cake, but I thought the kids would not really want to share carrot cake with me. And I wasn't looking for food battles on my birthday. So I opted for dark chocolate, which is a winner with the whole family. This cake recipe was adapted from The Food Lovers Primal Palate and was perfect. The cake is made with coconut flour, and the icing is made with coconut oil, so it definitely has a coconut flavor, which I love. Then the kids decorated it with dark chocolate chips and candy sprinkles (I ate the chips, they ate the sprinkles. ) To top it all off, we got the first significant snow of the season yesterday, just for me! :)




Dark Chocolate Cake with Icing
Cake Ingredients:
  • 10 eggs
  • 1/2 C honey
  • 1/2 C maple syrup
  • 1/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 t salt
  • 1 T vanilla extract
  • 1 C coconut oil - melted
  • 3/4 C coconut flour, sifted
  • 1 t baking soda
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325.
  2. In small bowl combine coconut flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda.
  3. In a large bowl blend with a hand mixer combine eggs, coconut oil, honey, syrup, and vanilla.
  4. Add dry ingredients to wet and continue to blend.
  5. Grease two 9" round baking pans.
  6. Pour batter into (2) 9" round baking pans. Divide evenly.
  7. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Paleo Chocolate Icing
Icing Ingredients:
  • 3/4 C Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
  • 1/4 C Dark Chocolate chips
  • 1/2 C coconut oil
Icing Process:
  1. In a double boiler over very low heat, melt chocolate chips and mix with oil.
  2. Cool in freezer about 15 min or until mixture seems to be not as liquid.
  3. Blend with a hand mixer until fluffy

2 comments:

  1. that looks SO awesome. but holy cow, that's a lot of eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, we had to save up eggs for a while to make it. :) It was really good. Tastes just like a regular wheat based chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...