Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Coconut Flour Cinnamon Cookies

Guess what! I ran out of almond flour the other day just as I was about to make the Urban Poser's Snickerdoodle cookies. (Cavegirl Debbie, we need another almond flour order!) So I did what I usually do; I improvised and made do with what I had on hand. The snickerdoodle recipe left out the eggs, but when using coconut flour, you need more moisture. So I added eggs back into the mix. I also had some butternut squash puree in my fridge, that I wanted to put to use. So I threw that in as well. The result was not the chewy-crispy of a snickerdoodle, but more the texture of a chocolate chip cookie. The kids loved them and so did the grown-ups. So I call them a success and an example of what happens when you have to improvise!



Coconut Flour Cinnamon Cookies (gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free)
1 C coconut flour
1 C fruit or veggie puree (I used butternut squash, but pumpkin, carrot, or applesauce would also taste great.)
1/2 C coconut oil (melted but not hot)
1/2 C maple syrup
5 Eggs
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
2 t cinnamon
1 T Vanilla

2 T cinnamon for topping (optional)

Bring all ingredients to room temperature and preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients except the cinnamon for topping and let sit for about 5 minutes. Take a tablespoon of dough and roll it in cinnamon, then place on a silpat or parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Smash ball of dough into a flatter cookie shape. Add dark chocolate chips to the cookies if you like (my kids wanted theirs with chips). Bake for about 20 minutes or until cookies are slightly firm to the touch.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...