Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Blackberry Muffins - Paleo/Primal/Gluten & Dairy Free

I got the muffin-making bug again today and made a few batches of my favorite muffins along with a new one. The other day the kids and I picked blackberries in our yard, and managed to get some of them back to the house without eating them. So, today I decided to try to make a blackberry muffin. Other than the fact that I really don't like seeds in my muffin, I think these taste great! The girl seems to think so as well; she's eaten almost a half dozen of them so far this afternoon! I modeled this recipe off of a blueberry muffin recipe I found in a gluten free cookbook. I'm sure you could use almost any fresh berries in this recipe. I may try strawberry next. Enjoy

Blackberry muffins

1/2 C coconut flour
1/2 C melted coconut oil
1/4 t salt
1/2 t baking powder
4 Eggs
1/4 C liquid sweetener like honey or Maple syrup
3/4 C unsweetened applesauce
1 C mashed blackberries

Bring eggs and applesauce to room temperature. (I found out cold applesauce and eggs can solidify the melted coconut oil, making the whole thing hard to mix.) Mix all ingredients together except the blackberries. Let mixture sit for about 10 minutes (this seems to give the flour a chance to soak up the liquid and makes a smoother muffin). Fold in the blackberries. Scoop batter into mini or regular muffin cups then bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes for mini and 25 minutes for regular until tops are mostly firm. Let cupcakes cool for about 1/2 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...