Sunday, November 6, 2011

Paleo/Primal Cut-out Cookies

The Girl came to me today and said "I feel like making cookies. Let's use the cookie cutters!". That sounded like fun, and we hadn't made cut-out cookies since last Christmas. At that time we made regular cookies with flour and sugar and other "usual" ingredients. This time I was looking to make something a little more in line with my new way of eating. I saw this Not Sugar Cookie recipe on Paleo Parents a week or so ago and used that as my base in creating my own Paleo/Primal version of the Sugar Cut-out cookie. These cookies are a bit drier than a regular sugar cookie as you would expect when using coconut flour, but not extremely so. The kids decorated ours with sprinkles and mini-M&Ms, which defeated the purpose of omitting the gluten and refined sugar, but I guess since we started with something a little healthier, the end product was better than it could have been. I thought they were quite tasty and the whole family enjoyed them.

Paleo/Primal Cut-out Cookies
1/3 C Coconut oil
1/3 C Butter or Palm Shortening
1/2 C Honey
4 Eggs
1 T vanilla
1 C+ coconut flour


Mix all wet ingredients with electric mixer. Slowly add in the coconut flour until you form a soft dough. I found this dough to be very wet and had to add in more coconut flour as I rolled and cut the cookies. Flour a Silpat or parchment paper then turn out dough onto it and roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thick with more coconut flour on the rolling pin. Cut out cookies close together on the paper and remove the bits of dough in between leaving the cut outs on the paper. You can then move the parchment directly to a cookie sheet without having to lift the cut out cookies from it. Bake for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees until cookies are beginning to turn golden.

The ones above are the ones I decorated...
The ones below are the ones the kids decorated.


They were a hit with the ninja crowd.


5 comments:

  1. Hi Angie,

    I came across your blog while looking for an alternative sugar cookie cut-out recipe for an upcoming holiday baking party. I'm going to try these this weekend, but I wanted to see what you thought about possibly upping the coconut oil or butter to counteract some of the dryness you mention. Would that help or do you think it would mess with the constitution of the cookies?

    Looking forward to reading more of your blog now that it's on my radar!

    Thanks!
    Keri Kae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keri Kae,

    Welcome! I think adding more liquid/fat would make the cookies very hard to roll and cut. i had to add more flour as I rolled and cut them just to get them to stick together. But they really aren't too dry. Even my non-paleo husband couldn't stop eating them and the kids didn't complain at all.

    If you try adding more oil/butter I'd roll them into a log, wrap in parchment and put in the fridge for a few hours before attempting to roll and cut. That might make them easier to work with after the fat hardens up a bit.

    Let me know how they turn out!
    -A

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi there! I too, came across your blog while looking for a paleo cutout cookie recipe. I still have a problem, though. My husband seems to have an allergy to coconut. I think the coconut oil is a small enough quantity that *maybe* it won't bother him...but I'm concerned about the coconut flour. Do you think it would be possible to make these with almond flour instead? I'm very new to the primal lifestyle, so I have a lot to learn--especially dealing with a hubby who has allergies to so many things...


    THanks in advance...I'll definitely be back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz,
      Welcome! Almond flour and coconut flour are very different beasts. Coconut flour is very thirsty, whereas almond flour acts more like your standard wheat flour in a recipe (although a little crumbly). So I wouldn't try to simply substitute almond flour for coconut flour. I'd look for a recipe that was designed around almond flour like Elana's Star Cookies http://www.elanaspantry.com/star-cookies/. Elena's contains some coconut oil, but you could probably substitute some other type of fat to avoid the coconut (lard maybe). Let me know what you try and how they turn out!

      -A

      Delete
  4. It seems like to make it not so hard, i will try at home right after work.Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...