Thursday, December 15, 2011

Paleo/Primal Lemon Poppyseed Muffins


Today The Boy requested Lemon Poppyseed muffins. I took that as a challenge. Could I make a Paleo Lemon Poppyseed muffin? And would it pass The Boy's taste test? Just to add a bit of interest to the game I asked if he wanted to help me make them. Usually if he watches me make them he doesn't want anything to do with them after they come out of the oven. I guess when he knows what "strange" ingredients went into the batter he's not interested anymore. But this time, he helped make them, watched them bake, and ate them when they came out of the oven. That's a big win for Mom!





Paleo/Primal Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
4 eggs
3/4 C unsweetened applesauce
1 t vanilla
3/4 C lemon juice
1/4 C coconut oil - melted
1/4 C honey
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1 T lemon zest
1/2 C coconut flour
1/2 T poppy seeds (optional, we didn't use them)

Preheat oven to 350F and let your lemon juice, apple sauce and eggs come to room temperature.

In a large bowl whisk all liquid ingredients together. In a seperate bowl mix all dry ingredients. Mix dry ingredients into the wet and stir until smooth. Let batter sit for about 10 minutes to let the flour soak up the liquid. 

Fill lined muffin tins about 2/3 full with batter. Bake for about 30 minutes or until muffins are firm on top when you press on them. Let cool completely before eating.

Makes about 12 large muffins.

2 comments:

  1. I made these the other day and they tasted AWESOME, but they didn't hold together in a muffin shape at all! Any tips on what I can try next time to make them a little bit more "sturdy"?? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris and Sarah!

    I had that problem as well. My family didn't really care; we just licked them out of the wrappers. :)

    But I think I might try replacing the apple sauce with a banana...that might give them more structure. I may also experiment with pureeing a lemon rather than using lemon juice.

    If you give any of those a try, let me know how they turn out!
    -A

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...