Thursday, September 29, 2016

Paleo Keema Kari

Bringing over Northwest Cavegirl Recipes. Cavegirl Stephanie here:
I love Indian food, don't you? This is a version of keema kari minus the potatoes. Trust me, you'll like it without them, too. Last night was a busy one. I had about 30 minutes to make something amazing out of a package of PCC's wonderful ground beef. I was wanting curry. I recalled a blend of spices that made me run to the computer for some help. After reading through SEVERAL recipes, I put together this blend.


Everyone had a large helping and I still had about two cups of it leftover! Yay! Leftovers!

Paleo Keema Kari
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1lb organic grass-fed ground beef
1/2 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp or more freshly grated ginger
1 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp cumin seeds, crushed
1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
1/2 t. freshly ground black cardamom seeds
1/2 tsp chili powder
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
1 cup stock (whichever sort you have on hand)
salt and pepper to taste
1 bunch of spinach, washed and chopped or a bag of frozen spinach
1 T. minced fresh mint (I was out, but this is my plan for the summer and you should try it if you have some!)

First, brown the ground beef. Add onion and saute along with the beef.
2. Add garlic, ginger and spices, fry for 2 - 3 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes and beef stock, turn heat down and allow to simmer for 30 - 40 minutes or until flavors are well melded.
4. Season to taste with salt and pepper and stir spinach through. Turn heat off and wilt the spinach. Serve!

Serve with cauliflower rice.
I actually used mixed greens (mustard, collards, kale) from my stash in the freezer that I'd put away from the summer Root Connection bounty instead of spinach. I'd guess that most people have access to spinach, though, so that is how I recorded the recipe. I also added about 1/2 a package of Trader Joe's Healthy 8 Veggie Mix, just because I had it and wanted more vegetables in it. The cavekids gobbled it down and hubby was so pleased to be eating something nicely spiced.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...